Following several weeks of storms and heavy flooding in Washington State, the state Insurance Commissioner released a list of tips for homeowners dealing with flood losses under their insurance policies. Flood insurance is challenging, so the Insurance Commissioner’s advice should be helpful to policyholders affected by the flooding.
The upshot is:
- Most homeowner’s and renter’s insurance policies do not cover flood damage.
- Flood insurance is available through the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s National Flood Insurance Program.
- NFIP policies come in two types. The first type of policy covers flood damage to the building, such as the foundation, electrical wiring, flooring, etc.
- The second type of NFIP policy covers flood damage to personal property like appliances, electronics, and other personal belongings.
- Homeowner’s affected by flooding who don’t have flood insurance coverage may be eligible for federal emergency grants or loans.